Chinese Name: 老挝 English IPA: [laʊs] Location: North of Indo-China Peninsula, Southeast Asia Population (city): 7,338,000 (in 2021) Language: Lao Zip code: / Tel code: 856 Time zone: UTC+7
Laos is the only landlocked country in the Indo-China Peninsula, and is also one of the countries where the Buddhist tradition is relatively well preserved. There are more than 2,000 temples throughout the country, and Buddhist temples are not only centers of religious activities, but also the main places for spreading culture and education. Most of the temples in Laos are concentrated in Vientiane and Luang Prabang. A leisurely and relaxing trip through the country’s north-south longitudinal route is a travel experience enjoyed by many backpackers.
- Famous attractions: Pha That Luang, Wat Sisaket, Ancient Town of Luang Prabang, Wat Xieng Thong, Mount Phousi, Kuang Si Falls, etc.
- Water sports experience: including Tubing, kayaking and swimming. Laos has well-developed waterways and rivers can be seen from the north to the south. You can half lie in an air-filled tire and go down the Nam Song River in Vang Vieng, enjoying the natural scenery on both sides, or rent a kayak to go to and from the Nam Ou River in northern Laos, which is exciting and relaxing, or swim and have a close encounter with the water.
- Extreme sports experiences: including zip lining, bicycle riding and rock climbing. The forested Laos is a great place for zip lining with an aerial view of various flowers and vegetation; cycling enthusiasts can challenge themselves in the mountainous areas of northern Laos; those without Thai experience can ride along the Mekong River, inside the old town of Luang Prabang, the central area of Luang Namtha, and around the Four Thousand Islands; the limestone cliffs of Vang Vieng are the premier rock climbing place in Asia, where rock climbing enthusiasts can enjoy themselves.
- Laos massage experience: Most massage places in Laos are built in tree-lined courtyards or on the banks of scenic rivers, so it is a good choice to spare 1-2 hours to enjoy a Laos massage to relieve the fatigue of travel. Wat Sok Pa Luang offers herbal steam and sauna.
- Local Course Experience: Learning to cook Lao specialties is a rewarding experience. Cooking Lao food yourself not only adds to the trip, but also provides a good understanding of the local culinary art.
Red glutinous rice is the favorite staple food for Laotians
- Mekong River Cruise: The Mekong River Cruise is one of the most unique experiences in Laos. You can enjoy the scenery of the Mekong River on both sides and visit small islands or local villages to better integrate into the area.
- Enjoying the sunset: Visit the banks of the Mekong River at sunset or experience a romantic sunset in Luang Prabang’s Mount Phousi and feel the magic of nature.
- Nightlife: How can you travel to Laos without night markets and bars? Luang Prabang night market and Vientiane night market are full of local customs, you can also feel the night atmosphere in the ancient town of Luang Prabang, Vientiane downtown, Vang Vieng city center or bars along the Mekong River in Si Phan Don (Four Thousand Islands), and interact with people from different countries.
Hot Destinations in Laos
Other Destinations in Laos
- Salavan Province
- Savannakhet Province
- Sekong Province
- Champasak Province
- Bolikhamsai Province
- Bokeo Province
- Khammouane Province
- Attapeu Province
- Phongsaly Province
- Luang Prabang Province
- XiangKhouang Province
- Vientiane Province
- Oudomxay Province
- Luang Namtha Province
- Xaisomboun Province
Laos is the only landlocked country in the Indo-China Peninsula and one of the least developed countries in the world. The territory of Laos is 80% mountainous and highland, and mostly covered by forests, known as the "Roof of Indochina". The simplicity and kindness of its people and natural beauty have attracted travelers from all over the world, and Laos has been named the most popular country for backpackers and outdoor enthusiasts by the European Union. Top-Rated Tourist Attractions & [...]
As a popular country for backpackers and outdoor enthusiasts, travelling in Laos becomes more and more popular. Laos tours are connected with other bordering countries, like China, Vietnam, Myanmar, Thailand and Cambodia. Laos tours provide tour packages in various tour themes, including city tour, cruise tour, cycling tour, trekking tour, rafting tour, cross-border tour, etc. Select a tour package or tell us what you want to discover in Laos, we can customize an itinerary [...]
- More City Tours Including Laos >>
- More China Provinces Tours Including Laos >>
- More Multi-City Tours Including Laos >>
- All Tours Including Laos >>
Climate & When to Go
Laos has a tropical monsoon climate with two distinct seasons: the dry season from November to April and the rainy season from May to October. Generally speaking, the temperature in Laos are relatively high, you don't need to bring heavy clothing when travelling there, but pay attention to protecting yourself against mosquito bite and sunburn. Here below will bring you to know more about the weather in Laos. Best Time to Visit The dry season, from November to February, is the best [...]
Laos Transportation mainly includes two parts, how to get in Laos and How to get around Laos. Laos is a landlocked country with relatively backward infrastructure, despite the increasing number of domestic flights and newly completed roads, it still takes time to get around the various regions. Roads are the main transportation system in Laos. How to Get in Laos When you plan to travel to Laos, you can get in mainly by air. But since December 03, 2021, China-Laos Railway had [...]
Festivals and Activities
As a country with Buddhism as its official religion, Laos has many traditional festivals and public holidays almost every month. Laotian festivals, or boun, are like a part of Lao people's life and are mainly associated with historical Buddhist festivals or agricultural seasons on a hybrid solar and lunar calendar. It will be a great opportunity to spend a holiday in Laos, immerse yourself in the celebrations and learn more about the culture and traditional way of life. [...]
To have a better travel experience in Laos, there are some useful Laos travel tips which may be helpful for your Laos tour. When plan your trip to Laos, view our answers to questions about Laos travel to get better understanding of Laos. Useful Numbers Emergency medical aid: 195 Fire: 190 Police: 191 Tourist police: 251；128 Laotian influenza telephone：199 Telephone Information Enquiry: 168 Best Time to Visit The dry season, from November to February, is the best time to visit. During this time, [...]
To help you have a better understanding of Laos, we have collected some useful Laos maps including Laos location map, Laos regional map, Laos tourists attractions map, Laos's City map, Laos transportation map, map of scenic spots around Laos , etc, through which you can probably know how to get to Laos and what to discover there. It shows the specific location maps of main roads, transportation, railway, stations, bus stations, airports, expressway, administrative division, famous tourist attractions, travel and [...]
Planning to travel to Laos for a short visit, for work or for leisure? Whatever it is for or however long you plan to stay, one thing that you might want to think about before heading out is your accommodation in Laos. Laos Accommodation will introduce where to stay in Laos, as well as some recommended hotels. Where to Stay in Laos Hotels The standard hotels generally provide air conditioning, TV, hot water and other equipment. Hotels that go for the lower end [...]